Friday, February 6, 2009

25 Days and Counting...

Yes, that's right 25 days until I'm sitting on a plane on my way home! It's 14 days until the last day of finals. It's 16 days until Graduation and 25 days until I'm back in good ol' Cali! It blows my mind how fast this school has gone. I feel like I've been here forever and yet at the same time if feels like I have only been here a couple of months. 

As things seem to draw to end, I find myself frantically trying to give my student every little bit of information I can cram into a 50 minute class. Sometimes this is harder than others. I find myself taking nearly the whole hour set aside for class. I wish for some classes that we had simply another week while others, I would like another month or so. :) Isn't that the way it always is! All of my classes are going well, just really full. It's interesting to see how students get that last little jolt of energy before the semester ends. It makes me laugh because having just finished college, I can empathize! I can now relate to my professors too. Well, almost! :) Reading and Writing class are coming right along. We're reading through the book of Daniel in the Bible. For writing we are learning about adjectives. Just as you think you have the rules down where you can explain them, you find a sentence that breaks the rule. English is such a tough language! I like the challenge of it though. It makes class interesting and frustrating all at  the same time. In my Bible 1 class, we are reading through Esther at the moment. I really love that class. It's probably my favorite class that I teach. It's so great seeing how they have progressed in nine months. Full imersion is definitely the way to learn a language. (Although my Thai is not very good. I really only know a few words. I guess that comes from living and teaching at an English imersion school.) The teaching class is going quite well. I began with 8 students and am down to 3. It's an elective class so they don't have to take it, therefore those that are in it are really committed. That makes teaching this class nice. They will be student teaching at the local school where I taught before I broke my leg. I got them placements in a fourth and seventh grade classroom. I'm really excited about it. It's going to make that last week of school kind of crazy, but it will be worth it. They will teach their first lesson at Legacy on Wednesday. I expect great things from them. Journalism and Health class are going. We are just wrapping things up. 

Update on Ah Moon: She is doing better smiling and walking some now. She is still in the hospital and could really use your prayers for continued healing. We really miss having her and Seng Hpa here. Another thing in the realm of prayer requests is our student Beka. He hasn't been feeling well lately and has not been in class since Monday. He has a heart condition as well. Please keep him in your prayers. Please pray for the Health of Legacy that everyone will be able to stay well for the last two weeks.

I have been walking free of crutches now for 2 weeks! It's so nice! Sometimes I still am just in awe of how good God is. I am still have some pain from muscles, and the bone as well. If I feel like being wonder woman one day, that evening and/ or the next day, I will be in pain. Please pray that I will be completely healed. I did play basketball on Tuesday. Well, by playing I mean I hung out by the basket and shot. That's about all I could do. :) No jumping or running. I was kind of afraid at points, but it was fun. I opted out of sports class on Thursday and just kept score, which was just about as much fun. If you ever get the chance to watch a court full of Thais play basketball, do it! It's hilarious! Good times for sure. 

The four us teachers went into Chiang Mai on Monday night to watch the Super Bowl. We felt like Americans in Thailand eating a hamburger and watching football. It was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I think that's all of the excitement I have for you this time. I know I had some funny stories that I thought about posting, but I can't remember right now and I really wanted to get my post out for the week! 

I hope every one has had a fabulous week! I will being seeing you very soon. I still love hearing from you and am thankful for those of you who are diligent in writing me. It means a lot! Thank you all for your prayers. Please keep them coming.

Bible thought for the week... if you were Daniel or Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, what you do? Would you have the courage to stand up as they did? I know we all would love to simply say, "yes" as our first instinct. Give it some thought... a den of lions and a fiery furnace. It puts things into perspective. Sometimes it's good to think about things like this.

Sending My Love and Hugs,

Lainy J.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous adventure you have had... serving, learning, growing... I know you will be coming back a different person for this experience in so many positive ways. I know too, your students will be different people for your experience, service and love. Thanks for sharing so generously with us all as well through your blog. Looking forward to seeing you back home, but knowing you will be dedicated to finishing strong while you are still there. The summit is in sight. Remember to "kiss the chains" when you reach the top, survey and revel in the view and in your accomplishment, before yelling, "OK, take!"

Lauren said...

You forgot a countdown...15 days until Lauren's birthday...

Site Meter