Hello Everyone!
This past week went pretty well. It's kind of crazy how fast weeks go by here. Nothing too exciting happening. Nathan was off on a visa run this past week. He got back today. We're happy to have him back. It's not the same when we're not all here.
Classes are going well. The students are learning more and more English everyday. I absolutely love being able to sit and have a conversation with a first year student in English! It's great! If the conversation were in Thai, that would be great too. That would mean, I'm actually learning the language. Being as that's not the goal of the school, it's okay. Although, we are going to start taking Thai classes this week! I'm excited. I have to learn Thai for my Master's program so this will be nice.
In Bible class we were talking about Moses this past week. I always enjoy going back through the Old Testament talking about the Patriarchs. Teaching this class has me look differently at some of the things I take for granted having grown up reading the Old Testament. Some days I leave that class so excited and then other days, I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm not teaching them anything. This class was the same way last year too.
Last Sunday Erika and I ventured into the city to go to some second hand bookstores and just hang out. We went in on a sawng tao. It mean 2 benches. There are 2 benches in the back of a pickup with a camper on them. I like them. They are different colors too. There are red, green, yellow and white ones. The colors dictate where it goes. The yellow ones come out where we are. You can go all the way into Chiang Mai from here for only 17 baht, which is about 50 cents. It drops you off at a market where you can walk, catch a red or green sawng tao (they go within the city and pricier, but you can negotiate), or a tuk tuk. A tuk tuk is a motorized little vehicle. I found a cartoon of one... thank you google! :)
A Tuk Tuk it means cheap
Our first stop was Starbucks!
I love the motorbikes behind the sign! :)
This starbucks is 3 stories! I love it! We go up to the third floor when we go to hang out. You get a nice view of Tapai Gate.
Here is a picture of the traffic.
Again, you get to see motorbikes, cars, and a Sawng Tao.
Me and Erika
Before heading home, we stopped for lunch at El Diablo's. This is the best burrito place in Chaing Mai. They say it has California tastes, but I don't totally agree with that. However, they are pretty delicious! (Arroy Mak!)
Besides that, I have to say I have found good reasons for television!!! How many of you like turning on the news during the elections? All that's ever on are things about the candidates, right? Well, you CAN turn it off. I've told you all that Thailand is noisy. Well, being as not many people sit an watch television in our village, they have to advertise somehow. Well, they take pickup trucks and put campaign boards on the sides of it. Then they go through the village multiple times a day to play their music with a little speech. It's a ton of fun when they park outside of your gate and play through it several times. Haha! It makes me laugh. Today I saw three pickups in a row, they looked like they were having a parade. It was pretty funny. I was walking across the way and laughed out loud. Wish you had the pleasure of hearing this. I'm going to try and get a video to share the love with all of you. :)
I hope you're all doing well and had a fabulous weekend!!
Sending much love and hugs your way,
Lainy J. :)
1 comment:
Great adventures and photos! I miss you :)
Post a Comment