Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Have Arrived!

The Thailand Adventure begins!

It took me about a week to pack for the amazing nine-month adventure that I’m about to experience. It resulted in two mighty heavy, quite large suitcases. If I left something that I needed, I guess I’ll just have to make due without it. J I can’t imagine that I’ve forgotten anything except maybe one or two travel buddies would have been nice! The last couple of days in the States were filled with lots of love, family, friends, hugs, crying and pictures. I must not forget to mention amazing Thai food with three pretty spectacular friends who saw me off to the airport where we shared laughs and tears. I am very EXCITED to see what God has in store for my life for the next nine months.

I arrived in Chiang Mai, Thailand this morning at about 9 am (their time). I am surprised I haven’t crashed yet. The seventeen-hour flight to Bangkok went really well. It was a wee bit long, but good. I think I got somewhere between 8 and 10 hours of sleep during the flight. As everyone was exiting the plane, we were looking at the business class and thought that looked much more appealing than the economy class. From Bangkok I flew to Chiang Mai. It was a rather short flight.

After arriving at Legacy, we dropped my bags off and went to explore. Erika gave me a tour of the “compound,” the farm and introduced me to the students and other staff that’s already here. I have a one-bedroom apartment… YAY for not sharing a room! I am all unpacked. It’s quite amazing that it only took a couple of hours to undo what took me a week to put together.

Upon arrival, I also found out what classes I’ll be teaching. I will be teaching English to the third year students. The program is a three-year program. I will also be teaching Intro to Bible, Journalism, and Health. It’s a wide-range of classes and I’m sure the rest of the week I as well as the rest of the teachers will be preparing curriculum and everything else that goes along with getting ready to start school on Monday.

Random Bit of Info: If you get a chance, try leprosy gourd… it is quite interesting to say the least! The four us furang decided it looked kind of like a frog and a cucumber mixed (maybe a Veggie Tales Creature) and tasted really bitter.

 

I’ll add pictures when I get a chance. 

With Much Love, 

-Elainea 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your adventure begins! I'm glad you have this blog going! Have fun!

mcastillo100 said...

wow girl i think it is amazing what you are doing and that you are ready to take on anything that comes your way. best of luck!!! I love you!!! xoxo take care ;)

Site Meter