Greetings to All of You Wonderful People!!!
This last week has been busy and full of everything. To start off the week, we had a football game. Legacy took its first victory. 3-1!!! I was very proud of the boys. It's a different league than we were in before, which has different rules, smaller fields and only 7 on 7. Our Sundays are usually taken over by football. I didn't take any pictures of the game because I'm starting to have a plethora of photos that all look the same. The field where they play is interesting. On one side there is a Bible school and on the other is a crematory.
I didn't have English class this last week, which freed up my time, but I don't know where all the time went. There wasn't a whole lot of down time. In Thailand, as you can imagine, rice is a major crop. Each family grows their own rice. It's time for harvesting right now. So my student had to go home and help with the rice harvest. Random, funny, side story... Erika got a call from one of the graduates from last year and he said, "I have new rice!" He was really excited about it. It made us laugh.
In order to avoid homework while being productive, I decided to cook dinner. Mexican food was a MUST! :) So I made rice, beans and even homemade tortillas. It was yummy if I do say so myself. It was fun cooking it. However, Mom and Sonia, you're right... Costco tortillas are WAY easier. haha!
Here's a picture to make all of you jealous! :)
The week before last was Loi Kratong. I blogged about it last year. I was terified enough last year. So I decided not to go again this year. It is an excuse for people to play with fireworks and not the "California Safe" kind either. I have decided they are crazy in Thailand when it comes to fireworks. However, I do think the lanterns that get hung up are really cool. Erika and I went to Chiang Mai to run a couple errands and here is a picture of some of the remains.
They are gold and blue... the king and queen's colors.
When you have an elementary school teacher who is out of ideas on how to motivate her students, she gets all creative and cutesy. She begins to treat her students like little kids even though they range from 18-28. I decided to do a drawing for participation. I bought pens, pencils, colored pencils, etc. I needed to put them in something so I found a box, but it was tooo ugly. So I decoupaged it. We don't have very many magazines. But we do have the economist and had another random magazine that worked. I was surprise with such limited resources that I found some pretty cool pictures to put on my box. It was so much fun putting it together. It made me miss teaching real little kids! Erika decided to be the photographer so you are blessed with picture of my really cool treasure chest.
Cutting and pasting.
Arranging and gluing.
Putting in the goods... aren't you jealous?!?!
We also came up with a "Spic and Span Spatula Award!" The kitchen crew that had the cleanest kitchen while they were on KP gets the award and the really cool part for them is that they get white rice for one week. They are stoked about that part!
So hopefully our incentives will work for motivation! :)
Update on Japur: He is doing soo much better. This week he will begin attending classes again. What a miracle he is! We are so thankful that he is doing so well. Thank you all for your prayers. God is so good. Japur is still recovering and has a long road, but it is remarkable to see how well he is doing so far! He has a doctor appointment tomorrow for his eye and to get his jaw unwired. I think he's excited to get the wires off of his teeth so he can eat.
Besides that, I've just been plugging away at doing homework and teaching.
I'm off to Laos this week to go with a student to get her visa. I'll take pictures!
Hope this finds you well!!
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Lainy J.
1 comment:
I love it! Thank you Elainea for the updates. They are fun to read. Makes me feel like you are still close by...:)
Love Andrea
Post a Comment