Thursday, November 26, 2009

To Laos and Back...

Greetings!!!


I've been back from Laos for about a week. I have no idea where the time goes. It's crazy! The trip went smoothly, but the bus ride was very long and not so comfortable. I was very thankful to get back to my own bed! The trip was comprable to the flight to the US, which is rough. However, there wasn't a time change.


Monday night we set out for Laos on a pretty nice bus. We were supposed to arrive in Udon Thani, Thailand at 7am. We didn't get to U.T. until 9:30. From U.T. we changed bus stations and caught a bus that would take us the rest of the way to Laos for under $3 for a two hour bus ride. It just so happened that we got to the border at lunch time. Well, lunch is a huge deal here. You just have to wait. There were some tourists that didn't quite understand this fact. I wanted to tell them "Jai Yen Yen!" In essence, take a chill pill. I refrained. We got our Laos visas and were on our way to Vientiane. We arrived at our guest house, for which I was thankful for a bed and a hot shower. Nothing fancy, but fabulous nonetheless. My student was happy for the T.V.!


The next day we got to the Thai Embassy to apply for my student's visa, which went smoothly after getting there. We passed every embassy possible except for our beloved Thai embassy. I saw a white guy who said hello. I promptly followed him into a building to ask him where the embassy was. He walked into a school type institution where I was greeted by people who could speak English, which was greatly appreciated. They pointed us on our way with nice little drawn map. It was such a blessing. We got to the embassy and then had the rest of the day to hang out. There's not a lot to do in Vientiane, Laos. My student was entertained by the television! (What is this world coming to!?!) I went and walked around more as if we hadn't earlier that day. Haha! I found a little coffee shop, which was perfect for people watching. Laos is so close to Thailand, but it is very different. I love Thailand so much more especially when I travel around South East Asia. I'm always happy to get "home."


The next day we had the morning free. I found another coffee shop to sit and people watch, while doing a little reading. Then we head towards the Embassy, which took far less time than the first time. Leaving us with more time to kill than expected. We hung out at Pataxay Monument, which was about the only thing to see in Vientiane besides some comical signs. They were preparing for Sea Games. So the fountains were shut down for cleaning.



I hope there aren't any smoking games. This made me laugh pretty hard! It had to do with the Sea Games that are coming up in December.





Now here are the many photos I took at the monument while we were killing time. Taking photos and watching people is a good way to pass the time. Sometimes even taking photos of the people you're watching is fun.




Monument with tourists.





Monument!





Trying to be artsy.



Trying to get people to buy their photography skills. There were quite a few takers to my surprise.




















This is the park across from the monument.





At the opposite end was a world peace gong. It was neat!





The monument from the park. This was the only fountain with water in it.
It was in need of being cleaned too.





My student.







Cheese!







We had to get one of both of us to prove we were there.




Following our photo op, we went to the embassy at 12:30. It was supposed to open at one. A line had already formed when we arrived. It was the first hot day since we had been there. After waiting in line for about an hour, the embassy opened and we were able to get it and get the visa. From the embassy, we went to the bus station, caught a bus to Udon Thani. Then from there to other bus station in Udon Thani and caught the last bus to Chiang Mai (home sweet home for now).


It was a whirl wind trip. I was happy to return to Chiang Mai. The bus ride back was much less enjoyable than the prior, but the destination was much sweeter. The trip was full of meeting interesting people and people watching.


The next photo, I call "Happiness in a Cup!" :) The following Sunday after returning. I went into the Chiang Mai just to get away and hang out. I was super excited about the red cups at Starbucks! There's something about going into a Starbucks here, which feels like home. When I need to get away from school and am missing home, this is one of the places I like to go.





Well, that's all for now. Another blog to come soon from Thanksgiving. :)


Take Care!


Sending Love and Hugs,


Lainy J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man, you're traveling almost as much as i am (or did haha); miss those days! good to see you're still having the adventure of a lifetime and seeing all those exciting new places, people, and experiences. i need to make my way to thailand someday. :)

josef

Site Meter