It's hard to take photos, when I'm trying to blend in. Blending in hah! Have you seen my hair and the color of my skin. I know all of you want to see pictures and trust me I'll take more photos. But I haven't lately. 1. Well, because I've not seen anything too terribly exciting where I've had my camera with me. 2. I don't want to look like a tourist. I want to live here to some degree blend in with my surroundings. I have been reading about culture in some of my school assignments and this is one of the things that came up as well as in prior cultural training I have had. Not to worry there will most definitely be photos in the future just not for this post.
We are finishing up our third week of classes in the new semester. It's crazy to think we're already finishing the third week. Time is going by quickly. Classes are going well. My Bible class is becoming my favorite again. :) Yesterday, one of my students prayed in ENGLISH for the first time as we began class. I was excited! Praying is one of those things that I think is easier done in your native language no matter what that language is. When he began to pray in English, I was shocked because he normally would pray in Thai or Lahu. That must mean he's becoming comfortable using English! YAY!
Japur is back at school. He has not started back in classes yet, but he's here! He's walking around on crutches. He doesn't want to use the crutches and I can empathize, but he tries to walk around without them. I think he's over that, now. It's only been 3 weeks since his surgery and I know I wasn't able to weight on my leg at that point. I'm assuming it has something to do with breaking the femur as opposed to fibula and tibia. Anyway, his jaw is still wired shut and he has some swelling in the face, but he look infinitely better than he did. He had a trach, but they removed it before releasing him from the hospital. He can drink liquids, but can't chew so we are figuring out things to blend for him to drink so he can get enough nutrients. He still has a long road of recovery, but we know God will continue to heal him.
The other one of my students came up and said, "I NEED... I WANT ONE." (Yes, all caps is to indicate a raised voice.) Hmmmm... I looked at him and said in English you need to use please and thank you. I gave him an example of using Thai. To be polite, men end what they say with cup and women with ka. I told him it's the same idea when you use please and thank you. So after he got a blanket, he said, "Thank you. Please." I could see how the confusion happened, but I thought it was hysterical!!!
The students are on a kick of saying they want things NOW. Of course, I think Whoa, whoa, whoa, you want it now? I explained that telling someone especially a teacher you want something NOW! is very rude.
But I guess even with the rudeness, at least they are speaking English, right? They'll learn and get it with time.
The weather has begun to change. We are entering cold season, which means lots of tourists and well, cold weather. I'm sure many of you wouldn't find it cold, but after being here and acclimating, it's time to start pulling out the long sleeves and sweatshirts. I think Mr. Drawbaugh wore short sleeves all through cold season while he was here. But for us, it's getting chilly!
I think that's all that's happening on this side of the world. Not much to report on this time. I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the change of the seasons!
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Lainy J.
1 comment:
You're right- I wore short sleeves because I never actually detected a cold season there... Nora wearing a parka notwithstanding :)
Post a Comment