Yet another week has flown by faster than I thought time could pass. It's nearly midterm time, which means next week will be week 8 of school. We are 1/4 of the way done with school and I have nearly been in Thailand for 2 months. It's really hard to believe! I feel like I just got off the plane yesterday and yet I feel like I've been here forever (in a GOOD way)! Have I mentioned that I love it here? I think maybe once or twice? :) I am continuing to fall in love with the culture and the people here. They really are great!
Thursday for athletics class we played soccer. I like soccer and all, but really I'm not that good at it. I think I much more coordinated with my hands rather than my feet. I definitely don't hit the ball with my head either; this is not to say that sometimes I don't get hit in the head with the ball. I was less than thrilled that we were playing soccer, but I tagged along. The guys are really good by the way. I started off playing goalie, but the students did not like the idea of me being goalie. I did not listen and played the position. They however wouldn't let me do anything. They played defense so well that I only blocked one goal. They wouldn't even let me run and get the ball. So alas, I opted to not be goalie and let Aj. Nathan take over. I don't think they protected him nearly as much as they did me. I think it's their way of be chivalrous. Later in the game, there were two other girls being the goalie. Such a double standard! However, I did feel a little special that they want to protect me. On top of that, I made a goal today! I think soccer might go up on my level of liking the game.
Thursday is the day I also go out to Mae Sa school to teach. It's still very challenging. There are so many students and I don't know their names. Sometimes I feel like I'm just talking and not really making a difference there. It's difficult because they don't know a lot of English and I don't know the students very well being that I'm only there one day a week. I've seen their textbook, but it essentially looks like a college foreign language textbook. I don't think it's the best way to teach them English, but being there for such a limited amount of time makes it difficult to attempt to change things. I kind of feel as though I am student teaching again because their teacher has to translate what I say for them to understand. Teaching to those who do not know the language you are teaching in makes things pretty tricky! I am thankful for the experience, but some days are a little frustrating. Hopefully I am being a light there. My prayer is that I would be light, whether they learn English or not, I pray that they might see Christ in me.
My classes at Legacy are coming right along. I am really enjoying them. Some days it can be frustrating, but overall I really love it! We finished our first book in my reading class! YAY! I am proud to say that all of my students passed the test. In writing, they are continuing to get better and better. In Journalism, we are getting ready to complete our first edition of school paper. If all goes as planned, it will be out within in the next couple of weeks. In health, we just finished the portion on general health. In Bible class, we have been talking about Isaac and Rebekah. They are going quite well. We are plugging along.
I think that's all for now. No photos for this update. I may get some up during the week. I hope you are all doing well. Keep me in your prayers.
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Lainy
No comments:
Post a Comment