We had our first day of classes back from winter break today. It went quite well. It started entirely too early and I should be sleeping right now except that the caffeine hasn't warn off yet. This should happen soon, hopefully!
Today I started the new teaching class that I was asking for prayer about and everyone must have been praying because it went really, really well! :) I was very happy with the first day of class and I'm excited for the rest of the semester and seeing my students grow. Not only will they grow, but I know for sure that I will too. It was fun listening to their ideas. The class is setup where it could be up to 2 hours in length, but today was only about an hour. I don't want them to get overwhelmed yet. After class I was talking with one of the students and it blows my mind that I'm attempting to teach them how to teach in a language that isn't their native language. That just seems daunting. I had to slow down a couple times in class because their English is so good that I forget I'm teaching English Language Learners. So another adventure begins in the world of Legacy. I definitely still would like your prayers. It is my prayer that they will gain knowledge from this class that they can use, even if it's in their own personal lives. I think about what I'm trying to teach and it can be kind of daunting especially when I feel as though I'm still trying to figure out how to teach myself. But I'm up for the challenge and I hope what I share with them will be useful in one way or another. I'm sure I'll be telling you more about this class in the future. I'll stop for now.
My other classes went really well too! Reading, Writing, Bible and Journalism! It was a full, busy day. It was good, though. In the Bible class (I'm teaching 1st year), I had the students pick their favorite Bible character from the Old Testament that we have talked about in class. They chose Solomon, Samson, David, Noah, and Deborah. On Friday they have to present this person to the class. I'm excited to see how they do. They have been doing presentations in their English class so I'm sure they'll do fine on this. It's exciting to see how much English the first year students know. Seeing the progress is always uplifting.
Yesterday we went out for dinner for my Birthday. Thanks Guys!! It was quite delicious! We found a nice little steak house that played blue grass type music. The music didn't really fit in Thailand. You almost forgot you were in Thailand. After dinner, we went bowling. Yes, I know what you're thinking... "You're still on crutches!" This is true. However, I walked up to the lane on crutches and then Erika would bring me my bowling ball. :) I'm sure it was amusing for all the people around. It was a lot of fun. On top of the fact of me being on crutches, we were all dressed up so they probably thought we were absolutely nuts! We're farang... so I guess that's enough said. We took some photos. I'll try to get them up, but my camera was being funny; it didn't like the lighting in the bowling alley.
Leg Update: Tonight it is quite sore. I probably did too much on it and it's cold (62 F), which doesn't help on the pain factor. But other than that, it's getting stronger and stronger. I've been able to put more weight on it. I got to the doctor in about 2 weeks. I'm praying for the amazing news of getting off my crutches. :)
I think that's all I for this update... I'm sure I'll have more stories by the end of the week to update you with this weekend. I am really glad to be back teaching. The students all seem refreshed and ready to go too. I hope that everyone's optimism continues strong through the end of the semester.
I just want to say thank you for all your prayers and your notes. It means so much to me. I know that people are praying because things work out that seemingly shouldn't work out. So, thank you.
Lots of Love and Hugs,
Lainy
2 comments:
great to see your first day of classes for the spring term went off without a hitch. we'll see if my school situation works out as nicely went i finally return from my month-long vacation next week. :)
jojo
62 degrees F is cold!?!?! I hate you. (I don't hate you...I love you...but I would kill for a day where I can't see my breath)
Post a Comment