The Legacy Institute school year has commenced. Wow! Beginning year three at Legacy. I find myself wondering if I'm crazy. (I'm not requesting confirmation or refutation this statement.) Looking back and thinking about my first journey to Legacy, I am simply amazed and astonished. I was coming with intentions of teaching for nine months and then going back home to "resume my life." Little did I know that my life in those nine months would be impacted in ways that would cause to make the decision to come back for a second year and yet again for a third. I am happy and feel like I'm right where I'm supposed to be right now for this time in my life. Perhaps, I am a little crazy, but normal is boring. Living in Thailand is anything, but what most people would consider "normal." For that I'm thankful. Yes, there are things that drive me nuts and if you continue reading, you'll read about a couple of them. Overall, it is fantastic.
Orientation took place on Sunday. Our director drew a ladder on the white board showing students what we wanted for them. Ultimately for them to have a "good life." Well, what does it take to have a good life? With some audience participation on the students' part, the following list was created. Education, God Knowledge, Skills, Practice and Friendships all of these things move you toward a good life. Then he told the students to ask the Ajans (teachers) for help. They are here and want to help you attain the goal of a good life. Wow, what a huge responsibility! I'm hope I'm making an impact on students' lives in a positive way and helping them reach their goals. I ultimately want them to have a good life, but it hit me how much responsibility goes into being a teacher, even greater still an Ajan in Asia. I hope I can live up to the challenge ahead and that they will leave Legacy impacted in amazing ways.
What do you think? What is a good life? Do you have a good life? What would make it good? How can you change or what can you change to make your life better? I was at the farm talking with one of the secretaries. She came on staff shortly before I went home so as we were chatting, she was asking me questions about me, my family, ultimately, my life. She said, "You're a good person." I laughed. Then she said, "I think you have a good life." After pausing for a moment, "I do have a good life" was my response. I know sometimes I get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, aches and pains, stress and busyness of it all that I may forget to take inventory of all the many ways I've been blessed. I want to challenge each of you to take a moment out of your busy day and take note of the blessings in your life.
Much Love,
Lainy J.
AKA The Crazy Girl Living in Thailand :)
No comments:
Post a Comment